Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Second Life


I've been in SL for a few months and have done quite a bit of exploring, learning and meeting new people from all over the world. I've gone to lectures about Special Education, about science... I've seen concerts, learned about composers... I enjoy going to the museums, one of my favorites is the Abyss Museum of Ocean Science. I'll never dive to the bottom of the ocean but in SL I can walk around on the bottom, click on links to research and learn more information on the Web and I can come face-to-face with all kinds of creatures of the deep.

What I have found:
•Universities from around the world in SL
•Other countries represented in SL: Israel, France, Turkey...
•NASA, NOAA, ISTE, Discovery Education Network
•Science Friday from NPR
•People to practice languages with...
•Live music, theater, movies, dancing...

The possibilities of SL are endless and will only grow for me as a teacher. As a teacher of 11 & 12 year olds, I am unable to take my students into this world but as they get older they will get there. I am fascinated by the work of a colleague and his teen grid island 13-18 yrs old in which he teaches them computer science, robotic and applied technology. The things these students are creating are amazing!



If you are logged into SL you can use a Slurl to go to the Abyss Museum of Ocean Science.





An article I found in Transforming Education Through Technology had a good piece on Second Life, what it is and how it is important to education.

No comments:

Post a Comment