Saturday, February 7, 2009

Using Wordle for Fun!

Here is my very short How-to Create a Wordle for a fun way to present a spelling list.

Wordle is a fun way to share a list of words with the world or just your class. It is an online tool that allows one to input words or text into a box and then click create and a Wordle, a picture using the words is created. Common words are taken out, this works in other languages too. I tried a Hebrew Wordle. The first time I used it in class, I created a spelling list for my students.

Wordle allows you options:
•Language: take out common words, use all caps or all lowercase
•Font: a huge variety of fonts
•Layout: vertical, horizontal or any which way for the text
•Color: choose from preset colors or create your own

*It is easy to use.
*Wordle is creative.
*It gives students a fun way to practice their spelling.

I took a paragraph and put that in, Wordle left out the more common English words leaving the main ideas basically. It is fast and fun to use. There are options on saving, do a screen shot and make a jpeg or save it to the gallery for the world to see. I would not use it to make a list of my student due to privacy issues.

Anyone can use it, and the gallery is open for all to peruse, be careful of the lists, some are not G-rated! I'm using it for a vocabulary review for a number of subjects.

I've found this quite valuable for our class and for me as it is so easy to use.

Below is the Wordle that came out when I pasted the paragraph above:

No comments:

Post a Comment