Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wikis


Anything I want to know about anything is on the Web in a wiki. I’ve found wikis on role playing, knitting, furniture, giraffes and of course education…

This collaborative, editable by anyone Web 2.0 software is a good way for teachers to engage students. Students can share their work with a real audience for a purpose beyond the classroom. Groups of students can take ownership of pages. They can work together beyond the classroom even if they can’t get together physically. Students and teachers can work together from all over the world. There are so many benefits to creating a wiki and being a part of one. All the tech standards can be taught through wikis, any subject in school can be a part of a wiki.

Wikis:
•editable
•collaborative
•easy to use
•fun
•creative
•free

As a teacher I can guide my students towards all kinds of Web 2.0 tools with wikis being one of them that we are currently using in class. The wiki lends itself very well to the classroom. I can have my students use it for all subjects we cover, it is a place where we put our class agenda, all the homework is listed. Students can learn how to do so many things through a wiki. The main thing for me as an educator is that it fits my teaching style, it fits the students learning styles and we have lots of fun learning what the wiki can do and what it can’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment